Wednesday 10 December 2014

New York

I know this is something a little out of the blue, but i wanted to share it. I was in New York a couple months ago and i wrote this. Recently i read it and i loved how it drew a picture of New York i had forgotten.

I hope you enjoy :)

New York

July 2014

As I walk along the pavement or as the locals say “sidewalk”, people here say things weirdly but then I’d be ignorant not to think that they think I speak weirdly. My heart drums singling along to the buzzing of the people, so many people who all have places to be. Each have their own urgent mission, yet they choose this city to find it in. The city is like a symphony, the car horns sound in time with the murmur of the people. I quickly skip down the subway steps making sure not to step in any puddles. I run my metro card along the silver machine that has years of wear and tear. Everyone has a code which they follow, stay out of my way and I’ll stay out of yours. Follow it or suffer the consequences. Of course my card doesn’t work the first time I have another go and breathe out a sigh of relief.

I love this city, each person so different yet anyone and everyone fits in. Everything working in unison yet all strumming along to their own beat, I am in awe. They say New York is “the city that never sleeps” but I think the saying should be “the city that is always moving” you can take that metaphorically or literally. As I sit on the subway, thanking the gods that I got a seat my eyes start to wander. Looking at people wondering what their story is. Each so different and colourful, I wish I could talk to each and every one. Take each story and tell it through my own perspective. Sometimes I think about what it would be like to be someone else, to see the world through their eyes, worry about what they worry about, laugh at what they would laugh at.

But I am one person, in a world of so many. Yet my world feels so small, so insignificant. That’s why I like New York, because although you may not know what your life means you have all these other lives to connect to.


No comments:

Post a Comment